- Assets: $763,539,421 (2017)
- Grants Received: $0 (2017)
- Grants Awarded: $19,371,603 (2017)
The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation (MGCF) was established in 1948 by Morris Cafritz, who was one of Washington, DC’s major commercial and residential real-estate builders. His wife, Gwendolyn, served as the Foundation’s president from 1964-88. Since 1993, the president and CEO has been the Cafritzes’ eldest son, Calvin, who also has been board chairman since 1989.
MGCF’s philanthropy is focused exclusively on organizations that are either based in, or conduct some of their activities in, the Washington, DC metropolitan area. The Foundation’s grant-making falls under four major categories: Health & Environment, Education, Community Services, and Arts & Humanities. From 1970-2014, MGCF awarded more than $410 million in grants to many hundreds of organizations — including some $190 million to nearly 900 groups between 2004 and 2014.
Among MGCF’s more noteworthy grantees are the Alliance for Justice, the Brookings Institution, Casa de Maryland, the Center for Community Change, the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the EarthJustice Legal Defense Fund, Environmental Media Services, Friends of the Earth, the Humane Society of the United States, the National Peace Foundation, the Natural Resources Defense Council, Planned Parenthood, the Sierra Club, and the Tides Center and the Tides Foundation.
To view a list of additional grantees of the Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, click here.