* Winfrey made her acting debut in 1985, when she starred in Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Color Purple’.
* Winfrey’s influence over the publishing industry exploded when she began her on-air book club in 1996. “Oprah Book Club” selections became instant bestsellers, and in 1999 Winfrey received the National Book Foundation’s 50th anniversary gold medal for her service to books and authors. Winfrey has also written six books and produced the film of the novel ‘Beloved’. based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Toni Morrison.
* An April 25, 2005 program entitled “Oprah Takes You Around the World” included a short segment about the Arab-Israeli conflict showing numerous images of Israelis bearing weapons against unarmed, suffering Palestinians and made no mention of Palestinian terrorism. The theme of Palestinian victimization was revisited in a 10-page feature in the June 2005 issue of Owhich emphaszed Palestinian grievances against Israel and was again silent about Palestinian terrorism.
* The Oprah.com website urges people to take whatever environment-friendly actions they can, such as “e-mailing electronic [greeting] cards to cut down on paper consumption,” wrapping presents “in recyclable materials,” and reusing the ribbons that may adorn gift packages they receive.
* In August 2013, Barack Obama announced that he would soon be presentingWinfrey with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award bestowed by the U.S. government. Other recipients that year included Bill Clinton and Gloria Steinem.