BOOKER’S FABRICATED PERSONAL ANECDOTES
* Particularly infamous was a tale wherein Booker claimed to have held and comforted a teenaged gunshot victim as the latter died in Booker’s arms. But in reality, the young victim died in a hospital some time after the shooting. And according to eyewitnesses, Booker grandstanded at the site of the shooting, moving the victim around in “a big act” and thereby potentially endangering him unnecessarily.
* In numerous other speeches, Booker fabricated the persona of a hardened, violent “drug lord” named “T-Bone,” who once, in a moment of desperation, had recognized Booker’s innate compassion and thus shared with him his heartrending life story, punctuated with many sobs. But in fact, “T-Bone” never actually existed.
* In a 2007 speech, Booker told a story about the recently deceased Newark activist Judy Diggs, claiming that she had died in a “truly poetic way” – “at school in front of a roomful of kids” to whom she was reading. (Click here for a video of Booker telling this story.) Upon learning of Booker’s remarks, the Diggs family came forward to correct the record: Judy Diggs in fact had died in her office.
BOOKER’S POLITICAL POSITIONS AND VOTING RECORD
* Booker favors a steeply progressive income-tax structure where “the wealthy pay their fair share.”
* Booker believes that the key to fighting crime is to minimize poverty and improve education.
* Booker laments that the “mass incarceration” of nonwhite minorities is one of the biggest problems which the U.S. must confront.
* Rather than blaming the government regulations that required lending institutions to give mortgage loans to underqualified nonwhite borrowers in the name of “racial justice,” Booker attributes the financial crisis of 2008 to the “predatory lending” and “unchecked avarice” of “over-leveraged financial institutions.”
* In 2014 Booker voted in favor of the Paycheck Fairness Act, which sought to prohibit employers from paying women less than they paid equally qualified male workers. (For an explanation of why the premise that women are underpaid is false, cick here.)
* Booker supports taxpayer funding for abortions in nearly all instances; he opposes parental-consent laws for minors seeking abortions; and he opposesthe Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, which was passed by bipartisan congressional majorities in 2003 and was later upheld by the Supreme Court.
* Booker favors the expansion of government entitlement programs.
* Unlike most Democrats, Booker supports school voucher programs designed to enable low-income parents to send their children to private schools rather than to the failing public schools of many U.S. cities.
● During his time as Newark mayor, Booker was absent from many important government-related meetings. Between January 2011 and July 2012, he was out of town fully 21.7% of the time – sometimes visiting late-night talk shows or attending public events in other cities. And according to Breitbart News, Booker “never attended a single meeting of a corporation he ran as board chairman, the Newark Watershed Conservation and Development Corporation.”
● During Booker’s tenure as board chairman of the Newark Watershed Conservation and Development Corporation, a nonprofit group that was paid more than $10 million annually to run the city’s water infrastructure. When the state comptroller and the Newark Star-Ledger investigated Watershed in 2013-14, they discovered that it was routinely spending money in a profligate manner, awarding no-bid contracts to friends and cronies of the mayor, reaping the benefits of no-bid contracts awarded by the city of Newark, and using taxpayer money as a giant slush fund—at a time when budget shortfalls were forcing the city to lay off police officers and to depend, for its very solvency, upon tens of millions of dollars per year in state aid. Some examples: