Members of the Islamist terror group Boko Haram have forcibly seized at least 50 villages near the Nigerian capital of Abuja over the past three weeks, according to Breitbart News.
“In a brazen attack, 100 kilometers [62 miles] from Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja, Boko Haram terrorists sacked 50 communities in Niger State and hoisted their flag in Kaure village,” Nigeria’s Leadership newspaper reported on April 26.
The governor of Niger State, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello, confirmed Boko Haram’s recent insurgency near Abuja on Monday while visiting an Internally Displaced Persons camp 94 miles west of the national capital.
“They have taken over the territory. They have installed their flag. I am confirming to you now that they have taken over the wives of the people by force,” the governor said, revealing that more than 3,000 people had been displaced by Boko Haram’s regional invasion so far.
Bello added that Boko Haram was attempting to establish a new base closer to Abuja. “Sambisa is several kilometers from Abuja but Kaure is just two kilometers from Abuja. So, nobody is safe anymore, not even those in Abuja,” he said Monday. Sambisa Forest is located about 530 miles northeast of Abuja.
“This is what I have been engaging the federal government on, unfortunately, it has now got to this level. If care is not taken, even Abuja is not safe,” Bello told reporters. “We have been saying this for long. All our efforts have been in vain.”