- Co-founder of the Commonwealth Information Security Center
- Runs a website that features veiled links to radical Islamic groups and organizations
Mohammed Eltoweissy is the co-founder and principal investigator of the Commonwealth Information Security Center (CISC), based at James Madison University (JMU) in Virginia. He is also the co-author of an on-line pamphlet entitled Islam – Beliefs and Values, which is listed on the JMU web site as a course document (published through the Department of Integrated Science and Technology/ISAT). In its “For More Information” section, this publication lists seven Web addresses linked to Islamic Extremism, six of which are hidden by Wingdings, a rarely used text font that replaces letters with pictures and symbols. The six hidden addresses include:
- www.whyislam.org – a Website run by the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA), an organization “allied with the militant fundamentalist movement of Jamaat-e-Islamiya in Pakistan and Bangladesh” (Steven Emerson, American Jihad).
- www.cair-net.org – the official Website of the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), an organization that represents “not the noble civilization of Islam, but an aggressive and radical strain similar to that which led to the [9/11] suicide hijackings” (Daniel Pipes, “CAIR: Moderate Friends of Terror”).
- www.iasv.org – the official Website of the Islamic Association (Center) of Shenandoah Valley, whose contact is JMU professor Ehsan Ahmed. Ahmed edited a book published by the Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT), a non-profit group sponsored by the S.A.A.R. Foundation “whose offices were raided by U.S. federal agents in October 2002 because the foundation had moved funds to two offshore institutions… tied to al-Qaeda.” (Dore Gold, Hatred’s Kingdom).
- www.isna.net – the official Website of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), an organization that serves as “an umbrella group for hundreds of Islamic organizations in North America, some of which promote the Islamic fundamentalist doctrine of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad” (Steven Emerson, American Jihad)
- www.icna.org – the official Website of the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA); see above for info on ICNA
- www.lariba.com – the official Website of the Lariba Bank, a California-based Islamic bank whose chairperson, Yahia Abdul-Rahman, was the co-chairman of an ISNA conference held in the year 2000 (the Third Annual Symposium on Islamic Banking and Finance in America).
The lone “non-Wingdinged” Website in Eltoweissy’s pamphlet, www.islamway.com, is run by the Islamic Assembly of North America (IANA). The IANA’s Vice Chairman, Rafil Dhafir, was arrested for laundering money to Iraq. Sami Omar Al-Hussayen, a member of the IANA’s Technical Committee, was indicted for routing “thousands of dollars he received from overseas sources to the Michigan-based IANA, and provided computer expertise and Website services to IANA” (Department of Justice, February 26, 2003). In Hatred’s Kingdom, Dore Gold writes, “In May 2001 – four months before the September 11 terrorist attacks – the IANA’s website featured justifications for ‘martyrdom operations,’ including crashing an airplane ‘on a crucial enemy target.’”
This profile was adapted from the article, “Government Security Conference Run by Islamic Radicals,” written by Joe Kaufman and Beila Rabinowitz, published by FrontPageMagazine.com on July 10, 2003.