Bill Warner, Director of the Center for the Study of Political Islam, estimates that Islamic jihad ("holy war"), over the course of its history, has been responsible for the deaths of approximately 270 million non-Muslims around the world. That figure takes into account the following:
- Africans: The eminent scholar Thomas Sowell estimates that 11 million slaves were shipped across the Atlantic and 14 million others were sent to the Islamic nations of North Africa and the Middle East. Moreover, the famous explorer and medical missionary David Livingstone estimated that for every slave who reached his or her intended destination, five others were either killed in the initial raid, or died from illness or privation during the forced march or transport that followed. All told, for the 25 million slaves delivered to the market, there were probably 120 million collateral deaths. Muslims controlled the entire wholesale slave trade in Africa.
- Christians: A rough estimate by Raphael Moore in History of Asia Minor is that 50 million Christians were killed by Muslims waging jihad. Another 9 to 10 million Christians were put to death by Muslims outside the context of jihad.
- Hindus: The Belgian writer Koenraad Elst, in his book Negationism in India, gives an estimate of 80 million Hindus killed in the Islamic jihad against India.
- Buddhists: Jihad killed roughly 10 million Buddhists in Turkey, Afghanistan, India, and along the Silk Route.
- Jews: The jihad in Arabia was 100 percent effective, but its Jewish victims numbered in the thousands, not millions. After that, the Jews submitted and became the dhimmis (servants and second-class citizens) of Islam and did not have geographic political power.
This section of DiscoverTheNetworks contains resources about the ravages of jihad in every region of the globe.
Adapted from "The Infidel Revolution," by Jamie Glazov (February 21, 2007).